Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Home is where the heart is.....

It has been a crazy week so far! I really haven't had time blog about his 2nd surgery! We stayed busy at the hospital most of the time. Therapy... therapy.. therapy! Physical therapy had him a couple times a day and so did occupational therapy. We did get rest sometime in between but then the famous "toy room" was the happening place. They also had art therapy and music therapy. Brennan did paint alot. Sue, our art therapy teacher told him to paint how he felt. He painted a painting almost every morning. I think it helped him. I usually had 45 minutes to myself thanks to his Child Life buddy. I usually would take a walk around the hosptial or walk to other buildings outside to get fresh air. I would always get my coffee too!! :) We were on a pretty good schedule between meds, IV flushings, doctors coming in and therapy. In between we snuck in a movie to watch. The Friday Chris and Ty came up we were working Brennan hard to meet his requirements to go home on Sunday. We came back up from the toy room and the doctor was in and said even though Brennan had not met all the requirements, they felt that it was best he would be able to accomplish them at home. We heard those sweet words.. Brennan would be released one day early! I think I did do a happy dance! That Saturday morning I couldn't be happier to get out of the hosptial room and into my car to go home. We will miss seeing our nurses we had on a daily and nightly basis. Brennan got attached to a couple of them but there was one, Danielle, our night nurse he just loved. She was just amazing with him! His heart was broken when it was her last night to work. He made her a picture to hang in her locker. Before we left Chicago, I did get my Dunkin Donuts (thanks Nan for the gift card)! The ride home was long. Just trying to keep Brennan comfortable was the key. We made it home and got Brennan home and made him a comfy spot on the couch. Chris went and got his meds filled and let me tell you it is a chore keeping up with them!!! We have a chartnwe have been keeping to keep up with the times!;He has been getting up more and more off the couch but when he hurts, he is right back on the couch. We started our therapies back up at the hospital. Trying to jump back into things! He has restrictions when he does go back to school and at home. Monday we had his dressings taken off. I felt bad because the poor kid screamed from the tape being taken off his head.  He is missing some hair on his head but it will grow back. He has spiked a low grade fever and we have been watching that. The doctor has ordered antibiotics and wants us to put Neosporin  on his incisions because he does not like the redness on the bottom of his big incision. Also blood work is ordered. Thanks to everyone that has kept Brennan in thoughts and prayers. Also for the text messages and phone calls. We appreciate it very much!




1 comment :

  1. Hey there! I found out about Brennan from my cousin Jan Hashman. I'm so glad she told me about him! I am having my 1st surgery in December, and Brennan has been quite an inspiration for me! He's one tough little guy! Hope he continues to recover well and that no other complications stand in your way!

    ReplyDelete